Hiring the right contractor is no easy task. Not only do you have to sort through the hundreds upon hundreds of listings, but then you have to try and find the right balance between cost, qualifications, and benefits. Where do you even begin!?
Luckily, the real estate and property management experts here at Potomac Valley Management have compiled a list of Tips for Hiring a Contractor: Narrowing Down your Choices.
1. Specialties: Not every home improvement contractor specializes in exactly what you need. So it is important to find a contractor that does. If you need roof work done, make sure the home improvement contractor you hire specializes in roof work. If you need your windows replaced, make sure the home improvement contractor you hire specializes in windows.
2. Prices: How much do your potential contractors charge? Of course price should not be the only determining factor you use, but let’s be honest; price plays a major factor in your choice.
3. References: A quality contractor will provide you with a number of references. Do not be afraid to call these homeowners and ask them about their experience.
4. Online Reviews: The Internet can be a great tool when narrowing down contractors. Check Angie’s List and read reviews, visit the Better Business Bureau to see if the contractor has any unresolved complaints, and see if you can find any pictures of the contractor’s previous work.
5. Affiliations: Does your potential contractor have any affiliations with local or national trade organizations or the local chamber of commerce?
6. Insurance: Please, please, please make sure your potential contractor is insured. If not, you could be held liable for injuries to workers or damage to your property.
7. Warranties: What type of guarantees or warranties does your potential contractor offer?
8. Do you like them? Remember, you are going to have to deal with your contractor, so it is important to find someone that you get along with.
Once you’ve narrowed down your choices to your top three or four contractors, contact them and arrange for them to visit your home and provide you with a written estimate.
Hopefully you have found these Tips for Hiring a Contractor useful. If you have any questions, please contact Potomac Valley Management by calling 1.877.390.4090 or visit PVMGT.com today!
At PVMGT, we take care of your needs from bookkeeping to tenant screening to landscaping contractor oversight, just to name a few. We provide quality and reasonable services.
You can also follow PVMGT on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+.