Hiring a contractor can be a real hassle. Not only do you have to sort through the hundreds upon hundreds of listings, but then you have to try and find the right balance between cost, qualifications, and benefits. It is no easy task.
Luckily, we have compiled a list of Tips for Hiring a Qualified Contractor.
1. Narrow Down your Options: First, narrow down your potential contractors to the top 3-5.
2. Get an Estimate: Next, call each of your potential contractors and schedule on-site estimates. Make sure you get these estimates in writing. And never trust over-the-phone estimates. Most importantly, never choose a contractor solely based on price. This is just one part of the puzzle.
3. Background Check: How long has the contractor been in business? Is this his full time job or does he do contracting work on the side? Can he provide you with any referrals or a list of past clients you can contact? You can also check with the Better Business Bureau to make sure the contracting firm has no unresolved consumer complaints.
4. Insurance: It is very important that your potential contractor be insured. Otherwise, you may be held liable for anything that goes wrong during construction, including employee injuries.
5. Get Everything in Writing: To cover all of your bases, make sure there is a well written contract that includes costs involved, details of work to be done, construction timetables, project guarantees and warranties, other expectations, etc. Have a lawyer review this contract and make sure you have a copy.
Don’t want to go through the hassle of hiring a qualified contractor? Then trust Potomac Valley Management!
We provide a number of options specifically tailored to your needs. We take care of everything from bookkeeping to tenant screening to hiring qualified contractors, and much more. Let us take the stress out of renting your home with our property management services.
Hopefully you have found these Tips for Hiring a Contractor useful. If you have any questions, please contact Potomac Valley Management by calling 1.877.390.4090 or visit PVMGT.com today!
Potomac Valley Management, LLC has been providing quality property management services to the DC Metropolitan area since 2004. We specialize in multi-family property management for apartments, cooperatives and homeowner’s associations.
You can also follow PVMGT on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+.